Disability Choices can help you get in touch with services, connect with other people living with disability and support you to live the life you want.
If you're not sure where to start, read our top tips for navigating the sector below.
Are you registered with Disability Services?
- If you are under the age of 65, you can register here
Do you know which region you have to call, based on where you live?
- Disability Services have regional offices, find your office here
Do you have a case worker? Are you keeping in contact with your regional office?
- If no, keep lines of communication open. You won’t fall off the books, but nothing will happen if you are not in regular contact.
Have you thought about what will happen after your child finishes school?
- Come up with a plan for life after school
Have you had an assessment for Day Options funding?
- You must have this while your child is still at school
Does your child need assistance with life skills? For example toilet training
- Go to Skills for Life
- If over 16 years, are you getting the Disability Support Pension? Find out more here
- Do you have Mobility Allowance? Find out more here
Does your child have a Tax File Number?
- They should have a TFN, especially if they want to enter supported employment
Do you go to parent groups?
- A great resource, parent groups are a place you can go to connect with people who understand where you are coming from.