In 2009, Minda was the first non-government organisation in Australia to adopt the guiding principles of the United Nations Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities.
Subsequently, the organisation evolved how it supports people, with the full implementation of a person-centred model of service. This means adopting an individualised focus in which each person is empowered with choice. Most importantly, it means listening to what people want for their lives and working with them to enable them to realise their dreams.
Benefits to people with disability:
- Diversity of choices with improved, flexible lifestyle options based on individuality, interest and skill development needs
- Greater level of independence and access to the wider community
- Promotion of further participation in activities of daily living
- Affordable housing options, promoting best practice in Universal Design Principles and Ageing in Place
- Flexible respite options to give more families assistance, with the opportunity for parents to live near their children
- Purpose-built dwellings for those with exceptional needs
- New commercial opportunities that present employment for supported and open employees with disability.
- Access to a high quality, integrated, affordable, livable in a sustainable urban community promoting best practice in Universal Design Principles and Ageing in Place
- Improved infrastructure, addressing store water, water supply, communications and power supply inadequacies
- Preservation of primary sand dunes and undeveloped sand dunes to remain free from encroachment
- Pathways and road networks promoting safe and enjoyable movement around the site with public art and areas that promote interest and enjoyment
- Environmental sustainability and conservation via development and in the finished product
- Development of a vibrant mixed-use precinct that provides purpose-built facilities for lifestyle activities (including pottery, arts, crafts and music), as well as commercial and retail opportunities
- Retainment of open space
- Sustainability initiatives including wetlands, storm water capture and reuse, coastal nursery, landscaping and more.