Feedback: complaints & compliments

Minda is committed to ensuring we provide a fair and equitable access to our services. We welcome information and feedback as this enables the quality of the services to be improved.

If a there is a complaint regarding our Housing services, standards, practices or policies, then the individual(s) have a right to make a complaint about any part of the service they receive.

We hope that most complaints can be resolved by discussing it with our staff member.

However sometimes this may not be successful or an individual may not consider it appropriate to do so.

What Happens With a Complaint?

  • Minda will respond to all complaints in a confidential, effective, and timely manner. To protect the rights and privacy of the individual (s) and staff, we may not be able to tell the individual complainant the result of the investigation if it involves others.
  • Complaints can be lodged online, in person, over the phone or by email. Individuals making a complaint are encouraged to use the formal feedback process to express any comments, compliments or complaints.
  • It is important as much information as possible about the complaint is provided. Anonymous complaints are only investigated in special circumstances.
  • The Feedback (Complaint Form) can be lodged to our Complaints Officer online and will be provided to the Minda Tenancy Relations Officer to provide a response. Alternatively, complaints may be lodged by Tenant(s) through the Accommodation Manager in person, online or over the phone.
  • We will send the individual making the complaint a letter to let them know we received the complaint and will start investigating it. We may need to contact the Tenant(s) or applicant if we need more information.
  • All complaints will be reviewed independently and all information available at the time of complaint will be considered.
  • Following the investigation, a formal response will be forwarded to the individual regarding their complaint in writing (generally within 15 working days of receipt of the complaint) with the exception of complaints regarding a privacy issues where a response will be forwarded within 60 days; informing the complainant  of the outcome and explaining the reason(s) for any decision.

Important Information about the Complaints Appeals Systems

If an existing Tenant(s) is not happy with the decision Minda have made, they have the right to appeal that decision. The process will not disadvantage or penalise the applicant if they choose to appeal. 

  • If an applicant for accommodation or an existing Tenant(s) is not happy with the decision Minda have made, they have the right to appeal that decision. The process will not disadvantage or penalise the applicant if they choose to appeal.
  • If a Tenant(s) is unhappy with a decision the Tenant(s) can lodge an Appeal. The Appeal Form can be lodged through the Tenant(s) Accommodation Manager, and the Appeal Request Form – can be accessed from the Minda Office, Hayward Building North Brighton, from the Accommodation Manager or the Minda webpage.
  • Completed Appeal Request Forms, together with any supporting documentation, need to be forwarded to Minda Office, Hayward Building North Brighton. It is important to include any new information since the original decision. A letter confirming receipt of the appeal will be sent as soon as practicable with advice on what will happen next.
  • Minda will respond to an appeal in a consistent and timely manner, according to our organisational policies.
  • A request for an interview, if necessary, can be made and the person lodging the appeal can bring a friend or advocate for help or support. Minda needs to be advised if an interpreter is required.
  • The relevant person managing the appeal will review the decision based on a brief provided by appeal applicant and make a determination on the appeal.
  • If a Tenant is not happy with the outcome of the appeal process they can appeal to the Accommodation Complaints and Appeals Committee which includes the Chief Executive Officer shall make a determination and respond to the complainant.

External Appeal when an applicant is not satisfied
If the Tenant making the complaint is not satisfied with the outcome of complaint there are  external chances of appealing available. These may include, making an application to the South Australian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (SACAT).

Consumer and Business Services (CBS) have a set process for dealing with alleged breaches of the Residential Tenancies Act 1995 (the Act). It is important for all parties to a tenancy agreement in South Australia to be aware of their rights and obligations to ensure they comply with the requirements of the Act.

Complaints about Neighbours or Anti-social Behaviour
Minda does not tolerate unacceptable behaviour and will respond and apply the provisions of the Residential Tenancies Act 1995 (SA).

However, when an antisocial behaviour complaint is received, Minda will investigate the allegation, when it has been supported by one or more of the following: a Police Event Number/s, an Incident Diary, or a Statutory Declaration.

Tenants can make a complaint about other Tenants and their neighbour by contacting their nearest Police Station or Minda – but we only involve ourselves if Minda is required to, in accordance with the Residential Tenancies Act 1995 (SA) . Tenant(s) can also discuss the concern they have with the Accommodation Manager, who can support them to contact their local police service.

Minda does not have authority to investigate criminal offences. If the Tenant(s) neighbour is physically or verbally harassing the Tenant(s) or if illegal substances are being used, then the Tenant(s) needs to report their concerns to the relevant authorities by contacting the Police Link Line on 131 444 or their Local Police Station.

Minda is not always the most appropriate place to call if the Tenant(s) are having problems with neighbours, as our ability to do something about the problem is limited.

Reports of anti-social behaviour of our Tenant(s) are managed by Minda by liaising with the relevant Accommodation Manager; we will thoroughly investigate each incident in a fair and reasonable manner. When we can confirm an incident of anti-social behaviour has occurred, appropriate action will be taken. It is important to note that Minda will not normally interfere in disputes between neighbours, except when required to do so under the Residential Tenancies Act 1995.

Add to My Choices

My Choices

Create a list of services you're interested in by using the "Add to My Choices" button. Then submit the form to Disability Choices and Minda will help connect you with services.